Nielsen Research Study Reveals OOH's Success in Driving Search; Media Plan of the Year Winners Named by Outdoor Advertising Association of America (OAAA)
NEW YORK, NY–(Marketwired – December 04, 2017) – The ADVERTISING Club of New York, a non-profit organization for corporate and individual members in the advertising, media, marketing and ad-tech industries, hosted the industry's tenth annual Out of Home (OOH) Conference on November 29, 217. The event, which took place from 12 noon to 6:30 p.m. at Tribeca 360 located at 10 Desbrosses Street in downtown New York, brought together the most influential thought leaders in the OOH industry to discuss the latest news and technology impacting the space.
Highlights of the day's activities included a keynote address by Avi Javetz, Product Lead D-OOH for Oath which focused on the use of location data in tandem with OOH, as well as an address from Tai Adaya, Marketing Manager for Casper, who spoke about the keys to success for the mattress company's OOH campaign efforts. A recent Nielsen research study commissioned by OAAA was also presented, comparing OOH's ability to drive online activation versus other media channels, and an announcement of the 2017 winners of the OAAA's Media Plan of the Year Awards.
Gina Grillo, President and CEO of The ADVERTISING Club of New York stated, “While intercepting consumers at the point of location can have significance, it's the opportunity to reach them throughout their journeys that will ultimately allow the OOH medium to garner vast attribution and demonstrate its ability to perform.”
The Club's website will share highlights of the best cases presented to allow the entire industry to learn more about these latest OOH successes.
The results of a recent online national research survey conducted by Nielsen, commissioned by OAAA, were presented for the first time and revealed that OOH media continues to trigger more online activations, including search, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram activity per ad dollar spent compared to television, radio, print (newspapers and magazines), and online banner ads.
- Nearly 5 in 10 U.S. residents age 18 or older (46%) have used Google, Bing, Yahoo or another internet search engine to look up information after experiencing something advertised on a billboard, in a movie theater, bus shelter or other OOH advertising in the past six months.
- Almost 4 in 10 U.S. adults (38%) have visited a Facebook page or posted a message on Facebook after seeing an OOH advertisement.
- OOH activations for newer social media platforms, i.e. Twitter and Instagram showed growth as compared to 2013 when those media outlets were not as well established. In the past six months, 23% of U.S. adults have posted a message on Twitter, and 25% have posted something to Instagram after seeing an OOH advertisement.
- OOH media compares favorably to dollars spent on banner ads. The study noted that while OOH media accounts for 22% of gross search activations generated by television, radio, print, OOH and banner ads combined, it only accounts for 7% of the total combined advertising spend.
Stephen Freitas, Chief Marketing Officer, OAAA noted, “This research proves definitively that OOH drives consumers online. Marketers need to take note and understand that OOH is not just an alternative to online advertising, but a strong competitive medium that successfully amplifies a thorough media plan to spur online engagement.”
Media Plan of the Year Winners
The OAAA announced the organization's Award Recognitions for “Media Plan of the Year.” The year's top winner for “Media Plan of the Year” went to Rapport and Universal McCann for the Emoji Movie.
The winners for Gold and Silver were:
- Clear Channel Outdoor, Sony Interactive Entertainment America & Kinetic Worldwide
- Kinetic Worldwide for MillerCoors Miller Lite Wrigleyville World Series
- OMA & PHD for Delta Air Lines
- Rapport & UM for Sony Pictures the Emoji Movie
- Clear Channel Outdoor & 24 Hour Fitness
- Copacino+Fujikado for Seattle Goodwill Industries
- Kinetic Worldwide for Nestle Water, Perrier® Sparkling Mineral Water — Perrier Flavor Studio
- Kinetic Worldwide for Universal Pictures The Girl on the Train
- OMA & PHD for Google Home
- OMA & PHD for MailChimp
Ryan Laul, President, Omnicom Media Group's Outdoor Media Group, summed up the day's activities. “It's an exciting time to be in OOH. We're just beginning to see the power of the latest technology being combined with creative content. Stay tuned.”
About The ADVERTISING Club of New York
The ADVERTISING Club is the premier organization for all advertising and marketing professionals in New York. Founded in 1896, the AD Club offers its members a forum to exchange ideas, make connections and honor excellence. The Club's Foundation provides students numerous educational outreach programs that give back to build a stronger and more diverse advertising and marketing community. The Club is the facilitating sponsor of the International ANDY Awards, which acknowledge outstanding creative achievement around the world in the field of advertising. www.theadvertisingclub.org.
Latest posts by Maria Burns (see all)
- Women in Leadership Economic Forum in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia WIL 2018 will be hosting Dr. Patty Ann Tublin as a leading expert on empowering women in the workplace - March 17, 2018
- DJ KRYOMAN Launches Record Label to Promote Female Equality within the Music Industry - March 17, 2018
- Breakfast or Dinner, Cereals Provide a Sumptuous Meal - March 17, 2018