Jonathan Carey “Champion for the Disabled” Born September 12,1993 Killed by caregivers on February 15,2007
As the Attorney General and Governor, NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo has allowed countless sexual predators, rapists and pedophiles to escape justice
— Michael Carey
ALBANY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES, November 8, 2017 — It is first important to note that these are obviously extremely serious allegations that are backed up by documents. For over a decade all personal pleas, hundreds of them, to then AG Cuomo and Governor Cuomo, to take every imaginable step to protect innocent and extremely vulnerable children and adults with disabilities from preventable sex crimes have been ignored.
My name is Michael Carey and I am the founder of the Jonathan Carey Foundation and I advocate for the safety, health and equal rights for this special group of people that are treated as a sub-class of human beings in New York State. Bringing to light these atrocities and fighting New York State’s corrupt multi-billion dollar a year industry or mental health system began over 13 years ago when my precious son Jonathan suffered horrendous abuse at the Anderson School, now called the Anderson Center for Autism. A few years later, after Jonathan was only 13 and he was killed by his caregivers while living in a State facility, Jonathan was suffocated to death. Read and see some of what my precious son Jonathan endured in three short years in New York State’s extremely dangerous and deadly mental health care system http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/06/nyregion/boys-death-highlights-crisis-in-homes-for-disabled.html and https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000000849083/a-failure-to-protect.html . I personally found out through a State document obtained through a Freedom of Information (FOIL) request that Anderson was known to be rampant with abuse by two New York State agencies and that they did nothing to stop these crimes from occurring there. See the State document attached here http://autismschoolabuse.com/Abuse_at_Anderson_School.html
The timeline is now what is important to bring to light the knowledge and complicit actions of Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and Governor Andrew Cuomo. What I have experienced and witnessed firsthand I believe is very similar to what Penn State officials did regarding protecting the convicted sexual predator, Jerry Sandusky, but far worse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal . There are 1,000,000 New Yorkers with disabilities within New York State’s mental health system that is rampant with sexual abuse and rape, a culture of sexual crimes and cover-ups headed up by top NY State officials.
• Andrew Cuomo became New York State’s top attorney, the Attorney General in 2007 the same year Jonathan was killed while living in a NYS residential care facility. According to Andrew Cuomo’s BIO “Cuomo returned to the spotlight by running for the position of New York attorney general in 2006. Promising to crack down on corrupt state government officials…” , yet he is a major part of the corruption himself https://www.biography.com/people/andrew-cuomo-21024931
• 2007- I first met AG Cuomo in the Albany County District Attorney, David Soares office in the spring of 2007, after offering his condolences for Jonathan’s death, he promised to help after I explained the wide-scale abuses occurring throughout New York State that could be dramatically reduced. Attorney Generals help or assistance to stop or prevent the rampant physical or sexual abuse were simply empty words and help never manifested.
• 2007 – Instead of offering to swiftly settle regarding the wrongful death of Jonathan Carey, Attorney General Cuomo hires 7-8 private law firms to fight the Carey’s following the convictions of both State caregivers involved. One took a plea deal for criminally negligent homicide and the other convicted by a jury for second degree manslaughter.
• 2007 -2010- Numerous certified letters to AG Cuomo were completely ignored; the safety, health and equal rights of the disabled were completely dismissed by AG Cuomo and his top staff, Mylan Denerstein and Alphonso David who headed up the Social Justice and Civil Rights Divisions with the Attorney General’s office in Manhattan. I personally met with them in February of 2010 and brought an entire travel on suitcase full of State documents and evidence of these crimes and cover-ups and they did nothing.
• January 2010 – My meeting was supposed to be AG Cuomo himself, but was abruptly changed. The only way to get the meeting was for me to personally ask AG Cuomo again in person for help while he was at the Capital for then Governor Paterson’s State of the State address, which he agreed to.
• February 2010 – The meeting in which the most damning State document , a State Affidavit, revealing the State’s “coherent oversight scheme” and “carefully cultivated understanding” with providers to protect them and their staff from litigation all surrounded the hiding and concealing State documents and evidence of crimes. I’ll never forget how Mylan Denerstein, who later became Gov. Cuomo’s top attorney, chuckled when I read this document and explained that it constituted a clear criminal conspiracy by the State of New York to cover-up sex crimes and many other crimes committed against the disabled, as well as countless death.
• February 2010 – Before leaving Attorney General Cuomo’s office that day I expressed to Attorney General Cuomo’s personal Secretary that the meeting was a joke and he needed to take emergency actions to stop most of these preventable crimes and cover-ups. Many appeals in writing, certified letters followed, all falling on deaf ears. Sounds like the Penn State cover-ups, but in this case literally, thousands of times worse in scope.
• 2008- 2010 – For a few years I was stopping in New York Times Bureau Chief, Danny Hakim’s office on the third floor of the Capital asking for the New York Times to investigate and report on what was going on in New York State’s mental health care system. Danny Hakim was finally able to convince his editors of the significance and scope of these horrors and that most safety and abuse prevention measures never were put in place since the Willowbrook expose.
• Early 2010 -The answer finally came from the New York Times that they would be doing an extensive investigative reporting series. This all came down around the same time of my meeting in the AG’s office in Manhattan.
• 2010-2011 -A full year of investigative reporting by two New York Times reporters, led by Danny Hakim, occurred before the first damning story came out in March of 2011, the year AG Cuomo became the governor http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/nyregion/13homes.html . You will see in this specific Times news piece how one of countless sexual predators are handled within the State system, the standard operating procedure under Attorney General and now Governor Cuomo. Sexual predators protected and shielded from prosecution and shuffled to another group home.
• Though out 2011 -The New York Times investigative reporting series was massive and one piece came out after another throughout all of 2011 and Governor Cuomo took no emergency actions whatsoever to initiate legislation to stop or prevent any of the widely known sexual abuse, rapes or the cover-ups of almost all. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/nyregion/abused-and-used-series-page.html
• Almost the entire 2012 legislative session is over before Governor Cuomo rolled out his Justice Center Scheme (May of 2012) of reporting all sexual assaults and rapes and other crimes to his agency, instead of 911 so local police can’t immediately respond. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand why? The Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice Center) was set up to continue the cover-ups by Governor Andrew Cuomo. The cover-ups now under Governor Cuomo are on steroids, they are astronomical in scope compared to before and this was purposefully planned. Gov. Cuomo simply renamed and relocated the former Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities (CQC) with over three decades of history of covering up almost all sexual assaults, rapes, physical assaults and negligent deaths on a much smaller level.
• 2012 – It was not only the renaming and relocating of a known corrupt State agency alone. Governor Cuomo shut down all independent oversight legal entities that could help the disabled and their families, just like he shut down the Moreland Commission.
• 2012 – Governor Cuomo changed the level to determine abuse from “some credible evidence” to a “preponderance of evidence” to protect sexual predators and other criminals instead of the disabled.
• 2011-2012 – Governor Cuomo refused to listen to reason and help the disabled finally get immediate 911 medical and police services when they are victims of sex crimes, other type of crimes or in medical distress. 911 is a basic privilege for everyone, but not so under Gov. Cuomo who claims to champion equal rights, but only equal rights for people he so chooses.
• 2011 – present – Governor Cuomo swore an oath to the Constitution, yet his direct actions have denied 1,000,000 New Yorkers equal immediate access to 911 emergency services and have denied this specific group of people their NYS and US Constitutional right to equal protection of laws. This is Discrimination in Civil Rights.
• August 2013 – The New York Times Editorial Board blasts Cuomo for doing nothing to ensure proper police reporting or installation of surveillance cameras following the New York Times “Abused and Used” investigative reporting series which was a runner up for a Pulitzer Prize http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/10/opinion/protecting-the-most-vulnerable.html .
• 2011 – present- To ensure the State won’t be exposed again in such a way with State documents, Governor Andrew Cuomo took decisive actions to direct the violation of FOIL law and conceal damning documents that could be used against him or the State, as exposed by the Associated Press http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-cuomos-office-tightly-controls-public-records-2014oct23-story.html
• January 2014 – Governor Cuomo directed his corrupt Justice Center to inform all police agencies that we have the authority in these criminal cases regarding these type of people. Cuomo has to keep the police and County elected DA’s out of the picture as much as possible to pull off his criminal enterprise and scheme.
• From 2011 – present – Literally hundreds of letters or emails to Governor Cuomo and his top staff with attached documents revealing numerous State and Federal crimes occurring go completely ignored by Gov. Cuomo, his top staff and his attorneys.
• 2015 – Governor Cuomo shuts down the ability for anyone to hand deliver and time stamp letters and documents to his mail room at the Capital because of me. Approximately 100 or more letters with supporting documentation of illegal and unconstitutional practices were hand delivered by myself to the Capital mail-room before Cuomo shut everything down.
• Throughout much of 2016 and 2017 – Over a dozen AP News or BuzzFeed News investigative reports reveal much of what is really going on behind closed doors at Cuomo’s bogus Justice Center. Simply Google Justice Center, Governor Cuomo, Abuse and Neglect and read the reports by all the reputable sources. Here a just a couple news pieces;
• Early 2017- The audit of the Justice Centers operations regarding what was or was not reported to local police, DA’s and the Office Of Medicaid Inspector General which was requested by me was obstructed according to NYS Comptroller Tom DiNapoli http://dinapoli2018.com/news/in_the_news/apnewsbreak_audit_ny_agency_for_the_disabled_stonewalled/
• Spring of 2017 – The first sexual assault case of a disabled person is tossed by a State Supreme Court judge with the assistance of NYS Attorney General Eric Schneiderman because the Justice Center supposed ‘special prosecutor’ appointed by Cuomo to circumvent and bypass County elected District Attorney’s is unconstitutional.
• 2017 Legislative Session – Governor Cuomo uses his political savvy to strong arm the blockage the vital life saving and discrimination ending 911 Civil Rights Bill that would immediately ensure 911 medical and police services and County District Attorney notification of crimes committed against the disabled within their counties. This was done by Governor Cuomo to allow the easy ability to cover –up most sexual assault crimes, rapes and negligent deaths as possible. Three quarters of all New York State legislators are signed on as sponsors.
• Summer of 2017 – Two more sexual assault cases are tossed by two more judges because all crimes occurring within each county must be prosecuted by an elected prosecutor within that county, which Cuomo’s State employee is not.
• From June of 2013- present – a State employee appointed by Governor Andrew Cuomo has been handling, determining and plea bargaining down rapes cases, and all sorts of other crimes and deaths that this individual does not have legal jurisdiction to do so. All appeals to Governor Cuomo, Deputy Secretary of Health Paul Francis and many other top State officials to immediately cease and desist from these illegal and unconstitutional practices that obstruct justice are ignored.
• August 2017 – Patricia Gunning reports and alleges sexual harassment by the head of the Justice Center, Jay Kiyonaga according to the NY Post and CBS News. The New York Post first broke this story about Jay Kiyonaga titled “Top Cuomo official claims former boss sexually harassed employees” http://nypost.com/2017/10/23/top-cuomo-official-claims-former-boss-sexually-harassed-employees/ . This story was picked up by many media outlets including CBS News which added an important piece to this puzzle; their story is titled “Former Cuomo aide claims harassment by superior https://www.cbsnews.com/news/patricia-gunning-cuomo-administration-aide-claims-harassment-by-superior/ .
• Gov. Cuomo promotes Jay Kiyonaga instead of firing him for far worse matters regarding covering up sexual assaults, rapes and deaths. Sexual harassment allegations follow after months of requests to the Governor and top staff for his firing. Jay Kiyonaga is promoted to the Deputy Commissioner within the Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) over 126,000 lives where much of the sexual assaults and rapes have been occurring. Most sexual assaults and rapes that are alleged to have been covered-up by Kiyonaga and other top officials at the Justice Center, by keeping them from local authorities and criminal investigations. https://www.einpresswire.com/article/402572097/top-cuomo-official-involved-in-cover-ups-of-abuse-deaths-of-the-disabled-promoted .
• September 2017 – Acting OPWDD Commissioner Delaney is directly quoted from a September 5, 2017 email, “I am pleased to announce that Jay Kiyonaga has been appointed to the role of Executive Deputy Commissioner.”
So that everyone everywhere knows the scope of sexual abuse that is going on within the NYS Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) which now Mr. Kiyonaga is a Deputy Commissioner of, it is approximately 325 reported cases of sexual assault every three months or 1,300 a year. It is critical that you understand that according to a very reputable study up on the State of Massachusetts website called “Prevalence of Violence” you will see that only 3% of sexual abuse of the developmentally disabled will ever be reported http://www.mass.gov/dppc/abuse-recognize/prevalence-of-violence.html . Do the math – multiply 1,300 times 33 to get the approximate real numbers which statistically would be 42,900 in a system of 126,000 developmentally disabled children and adults. Another way to look at these horror and astronomical atrocities is that approximately one third of the people with developmental disabilities will be sexually assaulted once every year. Governor Cuomo knows about these atrocities, has protected most of the criminals involved and he has taken no significant actions to stop or prevent any of these sex crimes or cover-ups.
No longer can 911 and local police be bypassed. 911 call systems must be immediately called by all mandated reporters regarding all sexual abuse. Please donate to support this incredibly important Civil Rights Movement. http://jonathancareyfoundation.org/donate/
The Jonathan Carey Foundation
email us here
The incredible life and tragic preventable death of Jonathan Carey, who was disabled, had autism, was non-verbal & only 13 when he was killed by his caregivers
Latest posts by Brad Bennett (see all)
- IEG Holdings Will Not Proceed with LendingClub Tender Offer - February 20, 2018
- Dynamic Healthcare Systems Releases Whitepaper on Mitigating Overpayment Risk - February 20, 2018
- Financial Education Benefits Center Provides Personal Finance Resources and Benefits for a Healthier Financial Life - February 20, 2018