Dr. John Troccoli
Due to breakthroughs in dermatology we now have effective, minimally invasive ways to address the gradual loss of facial fullness that we all experience as we get older.
NEW YORK February 15, 2018
Itâ€™s a dilemma of aging supposedly identified by that famous French beauty Catherine Deneuve: Do you want to keep a firm fanny or face? Beyond a certain age, it was said, maintaining a slim derriÃ¨re meant a hollowed-out face with droopy cheeks and wrinkles. Fortunately, a fast-forward through the decades has brought increased options: â€œDue to breakthroughs in dermatology,â€� notes Dr. John Troccoli, a board-certified dermatologist with Advanced Dermatology PC, â€œwe now have effective, minimally invasive ways to address the gradual loss of facial fullness that we all experience as we get older.â€�
The first collagen-based facial fillers were approved in the 1980s. â€œSince then,â€� Dr. Troccoli observes, â€œskin science has taken impressive steps forward to develop a range of products that â€“ because they are based on the bodyâ€™s own skin chemistry â€“ can replicate the facial composition that we had when we were younger.â€�
The JuvÃ©dermÂ® family of facial fillers, which feature the ingredient hyaluronic acid, provides one example. â€œHyaluronic acid, or â€˜HA,â€™ is a key component in our skin that we gradually lose as we age,â€� explains Dr. Troccoli. â€œEspecially important is HAâ€™s ability to attract water, which keeps our skin hydrated and firm. As we lose HA, our skin loses its structure and suppleness, and we start to sag and develop wrinkles.â€�
â€œJuvÃ©dermÂ® and other HA products can restore what weâ€™ve lost,â€� continues Dr. Troccoli. â€œAnd since the injections replenish what was there in the first place, we donâ€™t have as much worry about unexpected results or adverse reactions, such as allergies.â€�
First used internationally starting in 2003, the Food and Drug Administration approved JuvÃ©dermÂ® in 2006. â€œFDA approval,â€� notes Dr. Troccoli, â€œwas based not only on JuvÃ©dermÂ®â€™s safety but also on research that showed it considerably outperformed collagen-based fillers in terms of effectiveness, duration, and patient satisfaction.â€�
Since then, JuvÃ©dermÂ® and other HA products have grown to dominate the market, with more than 2 million procedures performed in 2016, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
â€œThe numbers reflect high levels of patient satisfaction,â€� says Dr. Troccoli, who offers the following tips to those considering HA replenishment:
6 Tips on the JuvÃ©dermÂ® Family of Facial Fillers
1. Educate yourself on the options: â€œSince being introduced,â€� observes Dr. Troccoli, â€œthe JuvÃ©dermÂ® suite has continued to expand. Patients should work with their dermatologist to identify what they want addressed: Loss of structure around the cheeks? Laugh lines? Lip lines? Different JuvÃ©dermÂ® formulations can more effectively target different areas.â€�
2. Choose your doctor carefully: â€œHA injections are not surgery, which makes them appealing,â€� says Dr. Troccoli. â€œThat said, your practitionerâ€™s knowledge and expertise certainly factor into the results, not only in terms of their product knowledge but also in terms of their experience and awareness of an individual patientâ€™s facial skin characteristics and facial anatomy.â€�
3. Make sure your desired outcome is understood: â€œAesthetically speaking, patients should make sure that they are on the same page as their practitioner,â€� states Dr. Troccoli. â€œAsking to see â€˜beforeâ€™ and â€˜afterâ€™ pictures of previous patients is a good idea.â€�
4. Have a clear understanding of the process: â€œOne feature of JuvÃ©dermÂ® formulations is the incorporation of lidocaine to reduce pain during the injections,â€� notes Dr. Troccoli. â€œPatients should have a clear understanding of such elements.â€� Temporary bruising and swelling are always possible after filler injections.
5. Be clear about the results: â€œPatients should be aware of how long the results can last,â€� says Dr. Troccoli. â€œFor some JuvÃ©dermÂ® products, thatâ€™s up to two years. Also, itâ€™s helpful to know that after the initial treatment, subsequent procedures may require less product.â€�
6. Consider combining procedures: â€œWeâ€™ve seen recent research that indicates there can be synergistic effect when HA injections are combined with procedures such as â€˜botox,â€™â€� observes Dr. Troccoli. â€œThe combination can add up to more than the sum of the parts. Patients may want to discuss a combination approach with their practitioner.â€�
â€œAging gracefully â€“ and beautifully â€“ is more possible than ever,â€� sums up Dr. Troccoli. â€œWeâ€™ve come a long way from the days when we had to resign ourselves to win-lose choices.â€�
John Troccoli, M.D., is board certified and specializes in dermatology at Advanced Dermatology P.C.
Advanced Dermatology P.C. and the Center for Laser and Cosmetic Surgery (New York & New Jersey) is one of the leading dermatology centers in the nation, offering highly experienced physicians in the fields of cosmetic and laser dermatology as well as plastic surgery and state-of-the-art medical technologies. http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com.
Latest posts by Maria Burns (see all)
- Hanel Storage Systems to Speak at Major Material Handling Conference, MODEX 2018 - February 24, 2018
- Class Act Books Science Fiction Series Garners Award - February 24, 2018
- MLM VIBES – Fortifying Software for the MLM Business - February 24, 2018